Keeping Maiden Name

Keeping Maiden Name

Keeping Maiden Name


Dear Wendy--I read your advice about changing important documents and found it very informative. However, I am not going to change my name and I'm wondering if there is any specific advice you can give to address this. Is there a way to let all my family and friends know, or should I just rely on word of mouth? What about officially--Social Security, insurance, IRS, etc.? Should I expect to run into problems with this for a long time to come? Will I always have to arry a copy of our marriage certificate? Thank you for your advice. I enjoyed reading all the "ask Wendy" hints.
Thanks,
Kate from Macon, GA, getting married in Cleveland, OH, 6-5-99
Hi Kate,
Be it for professional or personal reasons, there are more and more bride's making the decision to keep their maiden names. It does lighten the paperwork some, but it does not eliminate it all together. You will still want to acknowledge and duly record the fact that you have married. This is particularly important with any legal documents, i.e. insurance, attorney, accountant. I still suggest making a certified copy of your marriage certificate so you can produce it should the need arise.
A clever way to spread the word about your decision, is to use rolodex cards as your reception favors. This is a thoughtful remembrance of your wedding for the guests as well as being a helpful one. By using the computer generated styles, you can jazz them up to your liking while still getting the point across.
Happiness always,
Wendy

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Top